Alternating with reviews of books on writing, WRITER READS will offer INKLINKZ posts featuring literary links of interest from around the web; newsy, opinionated, trending, recent releases, etc., as well as alternative media reviews (film, tv, periodicals, podcast, etc.) to do with the craft of writing. If you have any links you think should be shared with your fellow writers, please let me know.
- In his new Medium column, Cory Doctorow’s reflection on 20 years of blogging makes for really interesting reading. You can also listen to the podcast version here.
- Over at LitReactor, Peter Derk details John Swartzwelder’s writing-as-fun method of writing (Don’t think you know Swartzwelder’s work? You do, believe me).
- On Vulture, Zakiya Dalila Harris has a short essay on how she develops twist endings.
- The New York Times has this piece on what happened when a blogger of romance fiction reviews met the romance author she recently reviewed (Hint: anything can happen when writers read about writing!)
- The Chestnut Review is, for the first time, holding a chapbook contest for prose. Read about it and how you can submit here.
- And Annie Wilkes is everywhere these days! (in fantasy fiction anyway).
- First, it was George R. R. Martin being trolled by his fans for taking too long to finish his sequel.
- Then it was Patrick Rothfuss being called out by fans and HIS EDITOR for not writing fast enough.
- And now, Divergent series author, Victoria Roth, is getting death threats for killing off a character.
Remember when William Shatner told his adoring Trekkie groupies to get a life?
Random Kick-Ass Quote On Writing
Thank you for reading! And please subscribe so I know who I’m talking to and to receive WRITER READS directly in your inbox. If you have any recommendations for books on writing I should review, websites or content you think worthy of sharing, suggestions for articles on writing/publishing about writing, news to relate, questions, or criticisms please email me by replying to this post.